Carefree TravelWith Baggage Delay Insurance you're covered up to $500 in the replacement of your eligible travel essentials when you book your travel in full with your Discover Card.
Available to all CardmembersThis exclusive benefit is available to you as a valued Cardmember. We've got you covered when you use your
Easy Claims ProcessCall 1-800-347-0213 to ask questions or file a claim.
- See Baggage Delay Insurance Terms & Conditions for full details
Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
175 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604
Baggage Delay Insurance
Evidence of Coverage
Refer to Key Terms KT-CC-EOC (9.08) for the definitions of you, your, we, us, our, and words that appear in bold and Final Legal Disclosures CC-FLD (9.08).
A. To get coverage:
You must purchase the trip with your covered card and/or accumulated points from your covered card for you, your family member, and your traveling companions. Family member(s) do not need to travel with the cardholder to receive coverage. If the trip is not purchased entirely with your covered card, we will only pay for the percentage of the eligible claim based on the percentage of the trip purchased on the covered card.
If redeemable certificates, vouchers, coupons, or discounts awarded from frequent flier programs are used to purchase the trip, any remaining charge for the trip must be purchased entirely with your covered card.
B. The kind of coverage you receive:
- Reimbursement for the actual cost of replacing, on an emergency basis, any personal articles (e.g., clothing, hygiene and/or grooming products) or business effects (e.g., uniforms or general office supplies) contained in your checked baggage, if the checked baggage is delayed in getting to you at your scheduled destination.
- Coverage begins when the baggage is checked in with the common carrier by you. This includes curbside check-in with facility-designated personnel.
- Coverage ends when you regain possession of your checked baggage from the common carrier. This includes curbside checkout with facility-designated personnel.
- Coverage is secondary to any other applicable insurance or coverage available to you including benefits provided by the common carrier (including, but not limited to, goodwill payments, refunds, credit/vouchers). Coverage is limited to only those amounts not covered by any other insurance or coverage or common carrier benefits (including, but not limited to, goodwill payments, refunds, credit/vouchers).
C. Coverage limitations:
Coverage is limited to the actual cost, up to $500 per claim, of replacing, on an emergency basis, any personal articles or business effects contained in your checked baggage. There is a maximum of 2 claim(s) per twelve (12) month period.
D. What is NOT covered:
- Plants, shrubs, animals, consumables, and perishables.
- Art objects, antique items, collectibles of any kind (such as items designed for people to collect or items that over time become collectibles).
- All types of stored data or music (including, but not limited to, computer software, DVDs, video cassettes, CDs, audio cassettes, and film).
- Keys, travelers’ checks, visas, documents of any kind, tickets of any kind (e.g. airlines, sporting events, concerts, or lottery), negotiable instruments, bullion, rare, or precious metals, stamps, and coins, currency or its equivalent.
- Property shipped as freight (including, but not limited, to automobiles and their equipment, motorcycles, gasoline or oils, and electrical free-standing motors.
- Computers, printers, or any computer related equipment.
- Rugs, cameras, radios, CD or DVD player, cellular phones, or household furniture.
- Losses resulting from war or hostilities of any kind (including, but not limited to, invasion, terrorism, rebellion, insurrection, riot, or civil commotion); confiscation, expropriation or detention by any government, public authority, or customs official; illegal activity or acts.
- Losses resulting from contamination by radioactive or hazardous substances, including mold.
- Items specifically identified or described in and/or insured under any other insurance or indemnity policy.
- Indirect or direct damages resulting from a loss.
- Any items not contained in your checked baggage.
E. How to file a claim:
- Call TWG Innovative Solutions 1-800-569-6311 to request a claim form. You must report the claim within thirty (30) days of the incident or the claim may not be honored.
- Report the baggage delay to the common carrier within twenty-four (24) hours.
- Submit the following documentation within one hundred and eighty (180) days of the date of incident or the claim may not be honored:
- Completed and signed claim form.
- Receipt showing the purchase of travel tickets.
- Statement showing the purchase of travel tickets.
- Covered card travel point program statement showing the common carrier ticket was paid for with redeemed points, if applicable.
- Copy of the delayed checked baggage report or property irregularity report that was submitted to the common carrier prior to leaving the terminal premises.
- The result of any settlement by the common carrier.
- Receipts for the covered purchases.
- Any other documentation that may be reasonably requested by us or our designated representative to validate a claim.
The following Key Terms apply to the following benefits: Baggage Delay.
Throughout this document, You and Your refer to the cardholder or authorized user of the covered card. We, Us, and Our refer to Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
Administrator means TWG Innovative Solutions. You may contact the administrator if you have questions regarding this coverage or would like to make a claim. The administrator can be reached by phone at 1-800-569-6311.
Authorized User means an individual who is authorized to make purchases on the covered card by the cardholder and is recorded by the Participating Organization on its records as being an authorized user.
Cardholder means the person who has been issued an account by Discover Bank for the covered card.
Common carrier means an air, land, or water motorized transportation carrier operating under a regularly published schedule and current license as required by law for the conveyance of passengers. Common carrier does not include helicopters, taxis, rental cars, hired cars, and private and contract carriers.
Covered card means the Discover card.
Baggage Delay means baggage (including personal/business articles and/or effects contained within) that is not delivered to you within three (3) hours after arrival at your scheduled destination.
Evidence of Coverage (EOC) means the document that describes the terms, conditions, and exclusions. The EOC, Key Terms, and Final Legal Disclosures are the entire agreement between You and Us. Representations or promises made by anyone that are not contained in the EOC, Key Terms, or Final Legal Disclosures are not a part of your coverage.
United States Dollars (USD) means the currency of the United States of America.
Final Legal Disclosure
This Final Legal Disclosure is not, by itself, a policy or contract of insurance or other contract.
Benefits are purchased and provided free to you, but non-insurance services may have associated costs, which will be your responsibility (for example, legal referrals are free, but the lawyer's fee is your responsibility).
Baggage Delay coverage is provided under a Group Policy of insurance issued by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. This Final Legal Disclosure is intended as a summary of benefits provided to you. The attached Key Terms and EOC and all the information about the insurance benefits listed in this Final Legal Disclosure is governed by the conditions, limitations, and exclusions of the Group Policy.
As the insurer of the covered card coverage described herein, Virginia Surety Company, Inc. ("VSC") collects personal information about you from the following sources: Information the insurer gathers from you, from your request for insurance coverage or other forms you furnish to the insurer, such as your name, address, telephone number, and information about your transactions with the insurer such as claims made and benefits paid. The insurer may disclose all information it collects, as described above, to companies that perform administrative or other services on our behalf solely in connection with the insurance coverage you have received. The insurer does not disclose any personal information about former insureds to anyone, except as required by law. The insurer restricts access to personal information about you to those employees who need to know that information in order to provide coverage to you. The insurer maintains physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your personal information. Should you have any questions about the insurance procedures or the information contained within your file, please contact the insurer by writing to:
Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
175 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604
Effective date of benefits:
Effective November 1, 2012, this Final Legal Disclosure replaces all prior disclosures, program descriptions, advertising, and brochures by any party. The Policyholder and the insurer reserve the right to change the benefits and features of these programs at anytime. Notice will be provided for any changes.
The Policyholder can cancel these benefits at any time or choose not to renew the insurance coverage for all cardholders. If the Policyholder does cancel these benefits, you will be notified at least sixty (60) days in advance. If the insurance company terminates, cancels, or chooses not to renew the coverage to the Policyholder, you will be notified as soon as is practicable. Insurance benefits will still apply for any benefits you were eligible for prior to the date of such terminations, cancellation, or non-renewal, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage.
Benefits to you: These benefits apply only to the cardholder whose cards are issued by U.S. financial institutions. The United States is defined as the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia. No person or entity other than the cardholder shall have any legal or equitable right, remedy, or claim for benefits, insurance proceeds and damages under or arising out of these programs. These benefits do not apply if your card privileges have been cancelled. However, insurance benefits will still apply for any benefit you were eligible for prior to the date that your account is suspended or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage.
Transfer of rights or benefits: No rights or benefits provided under these insurance benefits may be assigned without the prior written consent of the claim administrator for these benefits.
Misrepresentation and Fraud: Benefits shall be void if the cardholder has concealed or misrepresented any material facts concerning this coverage.
Dispute Resolution — Arbitration: This EOC requires binding arbitration if there is an unresolved dispute between You and VSC concerning this EOC (including the cost of, lack of or actual repair or replacement arising from a loss). Under this Arbitration provision, You give up your right to resolve any dispute arising from this EOC by a judge and/or a jury. You also agree not to participate as a class representative or class member in any class action litigation, any class arbitration or any consolidation of individual arbitrations. In arbitration, a group of three (3) arbitrators (each of whom is an independent, neutral third party) will give a decision after hearing Your and Our positions. The decision of a majority of the arbitrators will determine the outcome of the arbitration and the decision of the arbitrators shall be final and binding and cannot be reviewed or changed by, or appealed to, a court of law.
To start arbitration, either You or VSC must make a written demand to the other party for arbitration. This demand must be made within one (1) year of the earlier of the date the loss occurred or the dispute arose. You and VSC will each separately select an arbitrator. The two (2) arbitrators will select a third arbitrator called an "umpire." Each party will each pay the expense of the arbitrator selected by that party. The expense of the umpire will be shared equally by You and VSC. Unless otherwise agreed to by You and VSC, the arbitration will take place in the county and state in which You live. The arbitration shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act (9 U.S.C.A. § 1 et. seq.) and not by any state law concerning arbitration. The rules of the American Arbitration Association (www.adr.org) will apply to any arbitration under this EOC. The laws of the state of Illinois (without giving effect to its conflict of law principles) govern all matters arising out of or relating to this EOC and all transactions contemplated by this EOC, including, without limitation, the validity, interpretation, construction, performance and enforcement of this EOC.
Subrogation: If payment is made under these benefits, the insurance company is entitled to recover such amounts from other parties or persons. Any party or cardholder who receives payment under these benefits must transfer to the insurance company his or her rights to recovery against any other party or person and must do everything necessary to secure these rights and must do nothing that would jeopardize them, or these rights will be recovered from the cardholder.
Other Insurance. Coverage is secondary to any other applicable insurance or indemnity available to You. Coverage is limited to only those amounts not covered by any other insurance or indemnity. It is subject to the conditions, limitations, and exclusions described in this document. In no event will this coverage apply as contributing insurance. This Other Insurance clause will take precedence over a similar clause found in other insurance or indemnity language.
In no event will these insurance benefits apply as contributing insurance. The non-contribution insurance clause will take precedence over the non-contribution clause found in any other insurance policies.
Benefits listed in this Final Legal Disclosure are subject to the conditions, limitations, and exclusions described in each benefit section. Receipt and/or possession of this Final Legal Disclosure does not guarantee coverage or coverage availability.