You're never responsible for unauthorized
purchases on your Discover card
- We monitor every Discover card purchase every day
and alert you of unusual activity.
- We have 24-hour U.S.–based Fraud Specialists.
- You can now freeze and unfreeze your account in seconds to prevent new purchases, cash advances and balance transfers.1
- We'll ship you a new card overnight - free - at your request.2
1When you freeze your account, Discover will not authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers. However, some activity will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits, dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and certain other exempted transactions.
2Overnight shipping is not avaliable to P.O. Boxes or addresses outside the U.S.
Carrier overnight shipping limitations apply that may impact the exact delivery date.
Other Ways To Help Protect Your Account
Update Contact Information
So we can reach you quickly.
Sign Up for Account Alerts
Stay on top of your account activity.
Switch to Secure Online Statements
Reduce the potential of mail fraud.
Ensure your activity is processed and completed.
Create a Strong Password
Help prevent unauthorized online access to your account.
How to Freeze Your Card with the Mobile App
1. Tap "Manage Cards" under the Account menu.
2. Choose which card you'd like to freeze.
3. Tap "Misplaced Card" to temporarily freeze your card (or select Lost or Stolen card when appropriate).
New! The Discover chip card is here. Call 1-800-347-3085 today if you'd like one. Get an additional layer of fraud protection when you shop at stores with chip-enabled terminals. Learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I freeze my account?
- What happens when I freeze my account?
Freezing your account tells Discover that you don't want us to authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers until you unfreeze. A frozen account, however, still allows some activity, so you don't miss a merchant-indicated recurring bill payment that you pay with your Discover card. Other activity that will continue after you freeze includes returns, credits, dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and other exempted transactions. Remember, your account number does not change when you freeze your account.
- If I find my card, can I unfreeze my account?
Yes. You can unfreeze your account in seconds online or by mobile app or over the phone, so you can continue using your account as you did before you froze. Remember, your account number does not change when you freeze or unfreeze your account.
- What do I do if I can't seem to find my card?
If you think your card is lost or stolen, please contact us immediately so we can send you new cards with a new account number. You can report a lost or stolen card via mobile app or at Discover.com. Or you can call us any time and one of our U.S.-based customer service agents will take care of it for you.
- How often can I freeze my account?
As much as you need. You can freeze or unfreeze your account in seconds any time you like online or by mobile app or over the phone.
- What if I forget to unfreeze my account?
We'll remind you a week after you freeze your account if you haven't unfrozen it by then.
- Where can I freeze my account?
You can freeze or unfreeze your account in seconds any time you like online or by mobile app or over the phone.
- What is the difference between Freezing an Account and Temporarily Deactivating a Card?
Freezing an Account offers broader protection than Temporarily Deactivating a card.
When you Temporarily Deactivate a card:
- You prevent in-store purchases at point-of-sale terminals
- Only the card you choose is temporarily deactivated. Your account number can still be used for online and phone purchases.
When you Freeze an Account:
- Your account cannot be used to make new purchases in-store, online and by phone
- Your account cannot be used for cash advances
- Your account cannot be used for balance transfers
- All cards on your Discover account will be frozen
Whether freezing your account or deactivating a card, some activity will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits, dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and certain other exempted transactions.
Chip or EMV Cards
- What is chip technology?
Also known as EMV or smart chip technology, it provides added security at store terminals and ATMs. Many countries have already adopted chip technology. And now, U.S. merchants and card issuers are starting to adopt it, too.
- How do I use a chip card?
One of two ways. At retailers that are ready, you'll insert your card to pay using the chip. At retailers not yet able to accept chip payments, you'll swipe the magnetic stripe on the back of your card like usual.
- Where can I use my Discover card with chip technology?
Use it everywhere you do today. When a retailer updates their terminals to accept chips, just insert your card instead of swiping the magnetic stripe.
Other Protection and Prevention
- How does Discover monitor my account for fraud?
We monitor every purchase on your account every day. If a purchase looks unusual or suspicious, we let you know with an e-mail, text message or phone call from our U.S.- based Fraud Specialist team. If you have an unauthorized purchase on your account, we remove it. Because you're never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card account - guaranteed. And we can even overnight a new card to you for free at your request.
- How does Discover protect my information?
Discover uses technology and physical protection measures to help safeguard your personal information. That includes technology controls to help protect your information from outside hacks as well as business controls to help prevent unauthorized access. And of course, it means security guards, locks and passkeys at all our offices.
- What should I do if I find a purchase on my card that I didn't make?
Call us right away at 1-866-598-7835. Our U.S.-based Fraud Specialists will look into your concern, and we'll remove any unauthorized purchases from your account. We can even overnight a new card to you for free at your request. You can also temporarily freeze your card on our Web site or with our mobile app to prevent use - you can still shop online or by phone with your account number. Later, once you're ready, you can easily unfreeze your card.
- What if I'm declined for a purchase while I'm out shopping?
If we declined your purchase because it looks unusual, we'll send you an alert via text, phone or e-mail. And of course, you can call the number on the back of your card any time and talk with our live, U.S.-based service team.
- What should I do if I'm planning to travel?
Call us at the number on the back of your card or send us a secure message, especially if you're travelling abroad. This will help us avoid unnecessary interruptions or declines on your account.
Call our U.S.–based Fraud Specialists any time at 1-800-347-3085