One refinancing alternative that some may not think about is refinancing with a home equity loan. If you have $35,000-$150,000 in equity, this no closing cost option with Discover Home Equity Loans may be beneficial for you.
Evaluating Home Equity
The mathematical formula for determining the equity in your home is simple: Market value – mortgage balance(s) = home equity
Refinancing with a home equity loan allows you to borrow a fixed amount, which is determined by the equity in your home. To compute the amount, estimate the current market value of your home. Zillow or Trulia can be helpful in estimating your home value. Next, determine all debt incurred from your home (i.e. mortgage, other preexisting home equity loans, etc.). Subtract this from your home’s market value to learn your equity amount.
Tapping into your home equity can open up a lot of options. Whether you want to make a home renovation or addition, pay for a major life event like a wedding or your higher education, consolidate debt, or anything else, your home equity can be a valuable asset.
Pros and Cons
There are many advantages to a home equity loan. Naturally, there are disadvantages too:
- The interest paid on the loan may be up to 100% tax deductible. Consult a tax advisor to learn more.
- While it varies by lender, Discover Home Equity Loans has no origination fees, closing costs or prepayment penalties. Traditional rate-and-term or cash-out refinancing has closing costs.
- No mortgage insurance required, unlike other refinancing options.
- Enjoy lower interest rates compared to unsecured loans like credit cards or personal loans, if your goal is getting money for certain expenses.
- Compared to a conventional refinancing, interest rates when refinancing with home equity loans may be slightly higher. This is offset by the fact that you pay no closing costs.
- Full tax deductibles may not be available to everyone. High income earners are likely to take a reduced amount.
If you’re looking to refinance your mortgage for a lower rate, different loan terms or to get cash out of your home to use for any expenses, a home equity loan refinance may be for you. As mentioned, some HELs don’t have closing costs, which can represent significant savings and you can put more towards the principal amount.
To learn more about refinancing with a home equity loan, talk with a Discover Personal Banker at 1-855-361-3435, or request a no-obligation quote and we’ll call you back.