Extend Your WarrantyWhen you use your Discover card we'll add up to 1 additional year of coverage to your existing warranty of 36 months or less.
Available to all CardmembersThis exclusive benefit is complimentary to you as a valued Cardmember. We've got you covered when you use your
Easy Claims ProcessCall 1-800-DISCOVER to file a claim or get your questions answered.
- See Extended Product Warranty Terms & Conditions for full details
The terms and conditions of this benefit are subject to change at any time. Please visit Discover.com/cardbenefits to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
Extended Product Warranty Terms and Conditions
Discover Cardmembers automatically receive Extended Product Warranty protection for covered purchases when the entire purchase is made with your Discover card (or accrued Cashback Bonus or Miles). This insurance will extend the terms of the original U.S. Manufacturer's Warranty up to one additional year on warranties of 36 months or less. Extended Product Warranty is an Extended Warranty insurance policy underwritten by Federal Insurance Company Policies # 9906-52-20, # 9906-19-60 and # 9906-52-40 (the "Policy"). Keep this coverage description for your records.
We will duplicate the time period of the original U.S. Manufacturer Warranty and any Purchased Warranty on an Insured Person's Covered Purchase, up to a maximum of 12 months. If a U.S. Manufacturer Warranty or a Purchased Warranty is made up of multiple components, we will duplicate the time period of each component. If the total time period for the U.S. Manufacturer Warranty and the Purchased Warranty is greater than 36 months there is no coverage under this Policy. In no event will the total time period for all warranties, including this Policy, exceed 48 months.
We will duplicate the terms, conditions and limitations of the U.S. Manufacturer Warranty and any Purchased Warranty on an Insured Person's Covered Purchase up to $10,000 for repairs to defects in material or workmanship in a Covered Purchase; or for replacement of a Covered Purchase if repairs to defects cannot be made. This coverage only applies if the Insured Person charged the entire cost of the Covered Purchase to the Insured Person's Account during the Policy period.
We will reimburse the Insured Person for the lesser of:
- The cost of the Covered Purchase indicated on the Insured Person's Account statement; or
- The actual cost to repair or replace the Covered Purchase with an item of like kind and quality; or
- The Maximum Benefit Amount of $10,000.
In no event will We be liable beyond the amounts actually paid by the Insured Person.
In no event will We pay more than the Annual Maximum Benefit Amount, of $50,000, in any 12-month Policy period, regardless of the number of claims made in that 12-month Policy period.
Who is Covered
This insurance plan is provided to Discover Cardmembers automatically when the entire cost of the Covered Purchase is charged to your Account while the insurance is effective. It is not necessary for you to notify the administrator or Federal Insurance Company (the “Company”) when items are purchased.
This insurance plan is provided at no additional cost to Discover Cardmembers.
Account means an open and active Discover Card account. Account includes rewards accumulated on the Account.
Administrator means Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
Cardmember or Cardholder means an individual who is named on the Account card.
Covered Purchase means personal property, including gift items, not otherwise excluded that is purchased in full by the Insured Person using your Discover card.
Insured Person means a person, qualifying as a Class member 1) who elects insurance; or 2) for whom insurance is elected, 3) and on whose behalf premium is paid.
Manufacturer Warranty means a written guarantee to fix any defects in material or workmanship in a Covered Purchase, made to the Insured Person by the maker of the Covered Purchase.
Purchased Warranty means an optional written guarantee to fix any defects in material or workmanship in a Covered Purchase, bought by the Insured Person at the time of the Covered Purchase.
We, Us, and Our means Federal Insurance Company.
Who to Contact
Benefit and claim information is available by contacting Discover at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683), Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET).
Claim Notice Deadline
The Insured Person must send the Administrator, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc., written notice of a claim, including Insured Person's name and Policy number, within 45 days after a covered loss occurs.
Claim Submission Deadline
When the Administrator is told of a claim, the Administrator will give the Insured Person forms for filing Proof of Loss. If these forms are not given to the Insured Person within 15 days the Insured Person will meet Proof of Loss requirements by giving the Administrator a written description of the covered loss. Complete Proof of Loss must be given to the Administrator within 90 days after a covered loss.
Proving a Loss
The Insured Person must:
- protect the Covered Purchase from further loss or damage;
- report any loss to the Administrator within 45 days (see “Claim Notice Deadline” above);
- complete the claim form and return along with legible copies of the original U.S. Manufacturer Warranty, Purchased Warranty, Account statement showing the purchase of the Covered Purchase and original purchase receipt to the Administrator;
- provide a copy of the repair bill or a statement indicating that the item cannot be repaired along with evidence that the Covered Purchase has actually been replaced or repaired;
- cooperate with the Administrator in the investigation, settlement or handling of any claims;
- permit the Administrator to question the Insured Person under oath whenever Our investigation deems it necessary. All statements taken will be signed by the Insured Person; and,
- authorize the Administrator to obtain records, reports or any other documentation requested necessary to Our investigation or to verify the claim.
Reimbursement for covered losses will be paid to the Insured Person within 60 days after the Administrator receives Proof of Loss.
Exclusions and Limitations
Insurance under this Policy does not apply to Covered Purchases that:
- Are services, including but not limited to the performance or rendering of labor or maintenance, repair or installation of goods or property or professional advice;
- Are shipping, transportation or delivery costs;
- Are boats, automobiles, aircraft or any other motorized vehicles, or motorized vehicle parts subject to high risk, combustible wear and tear or mileage stipulations;
- Are land, buildings, permanently installed items, fixtures or structures;
- Are plants, shrubs, pets, consumables or perishables;
- Are computer software or applications;
- Are purchased for resale, professional or commercial use (consumer cards only);
- Are purchased for resale (business cards only);
- Are still covered under the U.S. Manufacturer Warranty or Purchased Warranty;
- Did not originally come with a U.S. Manufacturer Warranty or Purchased Warranty;
- Are used, rebuilt, refurbished or remanufactured.
Insurance under this Policy does not apply to defects in material or workmanship of a Covered Purchase that are:
- Not covered under the terms of either the original U.S. Manufacturer Warranty or Purchased Warranty
- Repaired at a repair facility that is not authorized by the original product manufacturer;
- Covered by a product recall;
- The result of a power surge;
- The result of normal wear and tear;
- The result of any hazardous, pathogenic or poisonous, biological, chemical, nuclear or radioactive material, gas, matter or contamination.
As a handy reference guide, please read this document and keep it in a safe place with your other insurance documents. This Summary of Coverage is not a contract of Insurance but is simply an informative statement to eligible Insureds of the principal provisions of the insurance while in effect. Complete provisions pertaining to this plan of insurance are contained in the master policy # 9906-52-20, 9906-19-60 and 9906-52-40 on file with DFS Services LLC. If a statement in this Summary of Coverage and any provision in the policy differ, the policy will govern.
Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
Benefits Assistance Center
PO Box 89405
Cleveland, OH 44101-6405
PLAN UNDERWRITTEN BY
Federal Insurance Company, a member of the
Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
15 Mountain View Road, P.O. Box 1615
Warren, New Jersey 07061-1651
This feature was not available on any accounts prior to 2/1/09 (Discover Business Card 4/1/09) and purchases made prior to this date do not qualify for coverage.
- it/More/Open Road/Escape cards- for purchases made on the account on or after 2/1/09.
- Discover Business card- for purchases made on the account on or after 4/1/09.
Coverage begins automatically at the latest of the following:
- on the date the policy is effective;
- at the beginning of the Policy term for which premium has been paid; or
- on the date the Insured falls within the classes of persons specified in the Class Schedule.
Coverage ends automatically at the earliest of the following:
- on the date the policy is terminated;
- on the expiration of the policy term for which premium has been paid;
- on the date the Insured no longer falls within the classes of persons specified in the Class Schedule; or
- on the expiration date of any applicable period of coverage for an Insured.