What is SCRA?
The Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides benefits to active duty servicemembers and, in some cases, their dependents. If eligible, customers will receive an interest rate not to exceed 6% on debt incurred prior to active duty, including most fees for the duration the servicemember is on active duty.
Who is eligible for SCRA benefits?
Discover provides protection to servicemembers and their spouse/domestic partner. The servicemember must have been on or currently on active duty in one of these military services:
- Air Force
- Space Force
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- Reservists & National/State Guard members
- Commissioned Officers of the US Public Health Service (USPHS) or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
There are several ways to apply for benefits.
- Online– Click 'Request Benefits Now'
- Phone– Call 1-844-DFS-4MIL (1-844-337-4645). If you are overseas, call 1-801-451-3730. (If your active duty time period is in the future, please make sure to provide your active duty dates.)
- Mail– Discover Attn: SCRA Department P.O. Box 30907 Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0907
- Fax– Attn: SCRA Department 1-224-813-5767
Discover will attempt to verify active duty by contacting the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC). If verified, no documentation is required; however, we encourage you to submit any documentation that may provide any additional information. If we are unable to validate active duty, then we may request written documentation. Examples of acceptable documentation include, but are not limited to:
- Military Enlistment/Reenlistment contract
- Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
- Letter from your commanding officer
- Deployment or active duty orders
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) documentation
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series)
- Any other documentation on military letterhead confirming your military active duty status
Please note: Reservist/National Guard members must provide documentation that confirms an active duty period.
Questions about Payment Protection?
If the account is enrolled in Discover Payment Protection, you may be eligible to pause your monthly payments, interest fees, late fees and Payment Protection fees during your call to active duty.Please call 1-800-290-9895 to speak to a specialist about pausing your payments today.
Questions about servicemember benefits?
If you have any questions about servicemember benefits, see Military (SCRA) Benefits FAQs or knowledgeable agents are available to assist you at 1-844-DFS-4MIL (1-844-337-4645). If you are overseas, you may call us at 1-801-451-3730. Our dedicated agents are ready to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.