Only Discover has unlimited Cashback Match: we'll match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year.1
We’ll help regularly remove your personal info from ten popular people-search websites that could sell your data. Activate for free with the Discover app.10
Get an unlimited dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically.1
You can talk to a real person from our customer service any time. Plus get powerful, fast mobile and online service.
We monitor every purchase, every day–and you're never responsible for unauthorized charges on your Discover Card account.8
Discover is accepted by 99% of the places across the country that take credit cards.3
See your FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements, online and on our mobile app.4
Your cash back never expires. Redeem your rewards in any amount, at any time.5
x% Intro APR† for x months on purchases and balance transfers and x% Intro Balance Transfer Fee until . Then x% to x% Standard Variable Purchase APR and up to x% fee for future balance transfers will apply. And there's no annual fee.
Checking for pre-approval won't hurt your credit score.
Set alerts, redeem rewards, view your FICO® Score for free4 and more, all from your smartphone, tablet or wearable.
Credit card issuers offer cash back programs to help cardholders earn rewards on purchases with their card. In general, your rewards credit card earns a percentage back of your purchase. And depending on the card, different purchases will qualify for different rewards. You see your rewards each month on your billing statement.
Generally, there are three types of cash back credit cards:
• Flat-rate cash-back card. Some cash-back cards offer the same percentage of cash back on every purchase, which can be 1% cash back or 1.5% cash back or another amount.
• Static category cash back cards. Some cash back credit cards offer a higher rate of rewards within a certain category (like travel, dining, gas or groceries) within a certain timeframe or beneath a certain spending threshold. These cash back cards may have a standard cash-back offer across all your other purchases.
• Different category cash back cards. With a cash back credit card that rewards you at different places, you will earn a higher rate of cash back for qualifying purchases, such as those within a spending category (like travel, dining, gas or groceries), within the spending threshold and time frame you’ve activated. But throughout the year, the categories may rotate (like home improvement or online shopping) to provide more relevant options for accelerated cash back earn rates. Additionally, these cash back cards may have a standard cash-back offer across all your other purchases.
Your card will determine which types of purchases are eligible for cash back rewards. Discover cash back cards allow you to earn cash back on every purchase, with bonus rewards offered for some of our cash back cards on qualifying purchases like gas, groceries and more.
To get the most out of your Discover cash back credit card rewards, just use your card on every purchase. All Discover purchases earn rewards. And be aware of any spending category bonuses on your card, which can include purchases like gas, groceries, dining and more. When you put regular expenses on your cash back credit card and repay them in full on every monthly statement and on time, you can earn rewards without paying interest charges from carrying a balance.
Some cash back credit cards include bonuses for spending within certain categories:
• Groceries. Spending at the supermarket with your cashback credit card can earn more rewards, depending on your card. So you can get rewarded on your regular weekly or monthly household expense. Take care to note the eligible stores for this type of bonus, so that your usual supermarket is included in the cashback program. If your market is part of a larger warehouse store, for example, it may fall under a different category than a traditional grocery store.
• Gas. Another regular expense that often gets included in cashback spending category bonuses is gas stations. Purchases made at most brand-name gas stations can be covered by this bonus and may include purchases made at the affiliated convenience store. Again, be sure that your cashback reward bonus is offered for the gas station most convenient to you and your family. Gas stations attached to warehouse stores, for example, may not qualify for the same rewards as separate gas stations.
• Dining. Eating take-out, delivery, or dining in can provide extra rewards for some cash back cards. This can be great if you often lead group meals, allowing you to cover the cost while earning the cashback discount from your card.
• Retailers. Some cash back cards will partner with larger retailers to provide bonus rewards for spending at that store. This can extend your cashback rewards bonuses to a vast number of things you can purchase.
There are a few key elements to a cash back card that can help you find the card that best aligns with your budget, common expenses and rewards.
• Annual Fee
Cash back cards with an annual fee are only valuable if the cash back you earn outweighs the annual fee you would pay. That can mean carefully watching if you’ve earned enough. But with Discover, the math is easy. Because the Discover it cash back card has no annual fee.
• Eligible Purchases
Cash back credit cards may provide extra rewards on eligible purchases within an amount you can spend or a timeframe for your purchase. Discover cash back credit cards provide you with cash back on every purchase, with cards that let you earn more on qualifying purchases.
• Redemption Program
If you want options other than redeeming rewards directly for cash, consider using your cash back as a statement credit against your balance. Discover also allows you to convert Cashback Bonus® into gift cards from major retailers, donate it to a charity of your choice, check out at Amazon.com6 or pay using PayPal7.
• Bonus Categories
If a cash back card offers accelerated cash back rates within certain spending categories or brands, be sure to adjust your current spending to get the most from these categories, so you can get the most from your cash back program.
• Your Qualifications.
Check your credit score to see which cash back cards can earn approval given your credit history. Discover offers a Free Credit Scorecard that shows your credit score for free.
To encourage cardholders to use a card, many card issuers offer cash back programs that provide direct savings on purchases made with the card. Some cash back cards will cover any expenses made with the card, while others may limit the maximum cash back award or where qualified purchases can be made. Some cash back programs will include bonus cash back rates for certain time periods or categories of purchases. Check to see when an issuer calculates cash back and then decide how you want to redeem the cash back.
Cashback Match: Only from Discover, as of May 2022. We'll match all the cash back rewards you've earned on your credit card from the day your new account is approved through your first 12 consecutive billing periods or 365 days, whichever is longer, and add it to your rewards account within two billing periods. You've earned cash back rewards only when they're processed, which may be after the transaction date. We will not match: rewards that are processed after your match period ends; statement credits; rewards transfers from Discover checking or other deposit accounts; or rewards for accounts that are closed. This promotional offer may not be available in the future and is exclusively for new cardmembers. No purchase minimums.
You earn a full 2% Cashback Bonus® on your first $1000 in combined purchases at Gas Stations (stand-alone), and Restaurants each calendar quarter. Calendar quarters begin January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. Purchases at Gas Stations and Restaurants over the quarterly cap, and all other purchases, earn 1% cash back. Gas Station purchases include those made at merchants classified as places that sell automotive gasoline that can be bought at the pump or inside the station. Gas Stations affiliated with supermarkets, supercenters, and wholesale clubs may not be eligible. Restaurant purchases include those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias, fast-food locations, and restaurant delivery services. Purchases must be made with merchants in the U.S. To qualify for 2%, the purchase transaction date must be before or on the last day of the offer or promotion. For online purchases, the transaction date from the merchant may be the date when the item ships. Rewards are added to your account within two billing periods. Even if a purchase appears to fit in a 2% category, the merchant may not have a merchant category code (MCC) in that category. Merchants and payment processors are assigned an MCC based on their typical products and services. Discover Card does not assign MCCs to merchants. Certain third-party payment accounts and digital wallet transactions may not earn 2% if the technology does not provide sufficient transaction details or a qualifying MCC. Learn more at Discover.com/digitalwallets. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information.
Acceptance: According to the Feb 2022 issue of the Nilson Report.
FICO® Credit Score Terms: Your FICO® Credit Score, key factors and other credit information are based on data from TransUnion® and may be different from other credit scores and other credit information provided by different bureaus. This information is intended for and only provided to Primary account holders who have an available score. See Discover.com/FICO about the availability of your score. Your score, key factors and other credit information are available on Discover.com and cardmembers are also provided a score on statements. Customers will see up to a year of recent scores online. Discover and other lenders may use different inputs, such as FICO® Credit Scores, other credit scores and more information in credit decisions. This benefit may change or end in the future. FICO is a registered trademark of Fair Isaac Corporation in the United States and other countries.
If you prefer not to receive your FICO® Credit Score just call us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683). Please give us two billing cycles to process your request. To learn more, visit Discover.com/FICO.
Rewards Redemption: Your rewards never expire. We will credit your account or send you a check with your rewards balance if your account is closed or if it has not been used within 18 months.
Amazon: Amazon is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon, the Amazon.com logo and the smile logo are trademarks of Amazon or its affiliates.
PayPal: PayPal, the PayPal logo are trademarks of PayPal or its Affiliates. Listed merchants are in no way sponsoring or affiliated with this program.
$0 Fraud Liability: An “unauthorized purchase” is a purchase where you have not given access to your card information to another person or a merchant for one-time or repeated charges. Please use reasonable care to protect your card and do not share it with employees, relatives, or friends. Learn more at Discover.com/fraudFAQ.
About product reviews: We calculate the average product rating based on ratings that customers submit. We exclude some reviews from being displayed for reasons such as the customer included profanity, reviewed the wrong product, submitted inappropriate or irrelevant content, or revealed personally identifying information. Reviews are not filtered, edited, or deleted simply because they are negative or are lower rated. If a review is excluded, the associated rating is not calculated in the average product rating.
Online Privacy Protection: Online Privacy Protection is offered by Discover Bank at no cost and only available in the mobile app. Approximately every 90 days we will scan for your online personal information at 10 select people search sites and submit opt-out requests on your behalf. Types of personal information found on these sites will vary.