YOUR PRIVACY CENTER
Your online privacy
We may interact with you in a variety of ways online. From Discover websites, to our mobile apps, online services and presence on social media sites—this Online Privacy Statement covers how Discover Financial Services treats your information.
Online Privacy Statement
About Our Ads, Tracking and Your Choices
We conduct interest-based advertising. You may see Discover advertisements on other websites you visit from time to time. Some of these ads are based on your Internet browsing history over time and across different websites or platforms. We collect information this way. We also have Service Providers that collect information this way. These websites include discover.com. This is called interest-based or online behavioral advertising. Discover uses interest-based advertising to target its advertising more effectively. Interest-based advertising or 'online behavioral advertising' includes ads served to you after you leave our website, encouraging you to return. They also include ads we think are relevant based on your shopping habits or online activities. These ads might be served on websites or on apps. They might also be served in emails. We might serve these ads, or third parties may serve ads. They might be about our products or other companies' products.
How you can opt out of interest-based advertising. There are several ways you can opt-out of interest-based advertising.
- You can opt-out of receiving interest-based ads from Discover or its partners using this tool.
- You can opt-out right from the ad itself. Ads served using interest-based advertising will have an Advertising Option icon in the ad. If you see that icon on Discover ads, you can click on it. You will then get an option to opt-out.
- The Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising provides consumers with the ability to opt-out of having their online behavior recorded and used for advertising purposes generally.
- On mobile devices, you can control device-level advertising privacy settings. For example, toggle the 'Limit Ad Tracking' on iOS devices or 'Opt out of interest-based ads' on Android devices.
If you opt out via methods 1-3 above, your choice will be stored as a cookie. If you remove or delete cookies you will need to renew your preferences.
We use common tracking technologies for a variety of reasons.
We use tracking tools:
- To recognize new or past customers.
- To store your password if you are registered on our Website or Mobile App.
- To improve our Website and Mobile App.
- To serve you with interest-based or targeted advertising (see below for more on interest-based advertising).
- To observe your behaviors and browsing activities over time across multiple websites or other platforms.
- To better understand the interests of our customers and our Website and Mobile App visitors.
How do we gather relevant information about you for interest-based advertising? To decide what is relevant to you, we use information you make available to us when you interact with us, our affiliates, and other third parties. We gather this information using the tracking tools described above. For example, we or our Service Providers or Business Partners might look at your purchases or browsing behaviors. We might look at these activities on our platforms or the platforms of others.
We work with third parties who help gather this information. These third parties might link your name or email address to other information they collect. That might include past purchases made offline or online. Or, it might include online usage information.
You can control cookies and tracking tools on our Website. Our Online Services do not respond to browser-level 'do not track' settings because this setting is not universal across browsers. However, your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so depends on the type of cookie. Certain browsers can be set to clear past and reject future cookies. If you block cookies on your browser, certain features of our Online Services may not work. Additionally, if you block or delete cookies, not all of the tracking activities we have described here will stop. Choices you make are both browser and device-specific.
We also advertise in other ways. If you opt out of interest-based ads, you may still see Discover ads. These are ads that are not based on your Internet browsing history. Some may be generic. Others may be targeted to you or an advertising segment you are in. The websites or services where targeted ads appear will have instructions about how to modify your advertising preferences within those sites. We encourage you to review those instructions and settings.