Finding the Right Gas Credit Card
How to find the right gas credit card
Students who commute to college, road warriors, RVers and the family chauffeur all have one thing in common: they fill up their tanks a lot.
Gas credit cards can be a great option for people who spend a lot of time driving or who are planning any major cross-country road trip.Â
Earn Unlimited 1.5x Miles on Every Purchase.
With gas prices fluctuating up and down these days, gas credit cards have become very popular among consumers. With a typical gas rewards card, cardholders can earn rewards on gasoline and purchases at gas stations.Â These rewards may be earned each month in the form of cash back, points, or other credits.
Which gas credit card is the best for you?
There are two types of credit cards that offer gas rewards: gas station-affiliated credit cards and credit cards issued by a credit card company that offer rewards on gas purchases. The best gas credit card for you depends on both your geographic location and spending habits.
- Station-affiliated gas credit cards offer competitive rewards, but you can only save on gas that you purchase at affiliated stations. This type of gas credit card is a good fit if you only buy gas from a particular gas station or if you could easily start going to one particular station without significantly changing your gas consumption habits.
- A gas credit card from a credit card company offers rewards on gas purchases at any station, not just certain ones. This can be more convenient for you, and also allow you to find the best deal, no matter what pump youâ€™re at.
5 things to consider when choosing a gas rewards card:
- What are the rewards levels? Are there introductory rewards levels that taper offâ€”for instance, do you get 10Â˘ back per gallon for the first 90 days and 3Â˘ back after that. (If so, consider getting your card right before a major road trip to get the most rewards during the time youâ€™ll be traveling the most.)
- Can you also earn rewards on purchases made elsewhere like restaurants, grocery or department stored, etc?
- Is there an annual fee?
- What are the spending levels and caps (read the terms and conditions or call customer service if you need help understanding the details)
- Is there a low or 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfersâ€”and a low interest rate after the intro APR period expires?
Get Cash Back on Gas and Restaurants with Discover itÂ® Chrome.
A gas rewards card should suit your lifestyle and needs. If you only fill up at the same gas station, you might prefer a branded gas card that gives you rewards at that gas station chain. If you want rewards at all types of gas stations and on other purchases, you might consider a gas rewards card that rewards you in several different ways. No matter what card you chooseâ€”be sure to read all the card terms and conditions.