Regular home maintenance is essential to ensure a safe and efficient home. It’s a good idea to set aside some money in your budget each month for home maintenance and repair. As a rule of thumb, homeowners spend between 1% and 3% of their home’s value on maintenance and repair each year. However, you can earn Cashback Bonus® on your maintenance expenses at participating retailers when you use your Discover card. Check out ShopDiscover for more details.
Following this maintenance checklist on a regular basis can help your home look its best, keep utility bills down and prevent more costly repairs in the future.
- Foundation – Check for moisture and cracks that are expanding.
- Roof – Inspect for loose tiles or shingles and signs of leaks around vents, skylights, and chimneys.
- Paint – Touch up any interior or exterior paint that is cracking or peeling.
- Gutters – Clean out gutters and downspouts to remove leaves and other blockages.
- Chimney – Clean out the chimney to remove buildup of flammable substances.
- Water Heater – Drain the water heater until it is clear of sediment and refill with clean water. (This will extend the life of your water heater.)
- Heating and Cooling System – Change all filters. (Depending on the type of filters you use, this may need to be done as often as once a month.)
- Clothes Dryer – Vacuum the lint from ducts and surrounding areas.
- Refrigerator – Vacuum condenser coils to increase energy efficiency.
- Exhaust Fans – Clean grill and fan blades.
- Garbage Disposal – Flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Doors and Windows – Lubricate hinges and moving parts; polish metal hardware.
- Garage Door – Clean and lubricate hinges, rollers, and tracks.
- Flooring – Shampoo carpets and wax floors.
- Caulking and Grout – Inspect caulking and grout around tubs, showers, and sinks and reapply if necessary.
- Fire Extinguishers – Check to see if they are fully charged and recharge or replace if necessary.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors – Test batteries and replace if necessary.