Dispute a Charge

Notify Discover Card if you believe there are incorrect charges on your account.


If you have found a charge you believe is incorrect, you may request billing assistance. You have 120 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute online. For disputes older than 120 days, please contact 1-800-DISCOVER. Most transactions can be disputed once the charge posts to your account, however, please wait until your first monthly statement after the transaction to report a missing transaction.

We suggest you contact the merchant first. We have found that most customers are able to reach a quicker resolution of their dispute by working directly with the merchant.

Before you open a dispute, you may wish to gather necessary documentation. For example:

  • Receipts with information such as merchant name and date of purchase
  • Cancelled checks
  • Proof of return
  • Other information that will help us resolve your issue

Once your dispute is in process, visit the My Disputes page. There you will have the ability to check the status of your dispute, initiate a new dispute, upload documentation or contact us.

Ready to Dispute a Charge?orRegister

Related Questions

Browse more questions
How do I dispute a transaction?

You can initiate it online by viewing the additional transaction details for each transaction on your statement. While viewing the additional transaction details, you can select the Dispute a Charge link. You can also find the Dispute a Charge option on the Customer Service page within the Account Center. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-800-DISCOVER, or you can send a letter to P.O. Box 30943, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-9850.

How can I better assist in resolving my dispute quickly?

You will often be able to reach a quicker resolution by working directly with the merchant. The merchant has direct access to your purchase information and can service you directly.

If I must initiate a dispute, how long will the process take before there is a final resolution?

In most instances, we will be able to resolve your inquiry within one month; however more complex cases may require additional time.

Do I have to pay my disputed transaction?

No. We will place a credit on your account for the disputed amount while we investigate the transaction.

How does the dispute process work?

After gathering information and any documentation you may have, we issue a credit to your account while we investigate the transaction. We notify the merchant of your dispute. If the merchant responds, we evaluate the information they provide and then either a credit is issued from the merchant's account or the credit we issued during investigation is reversed. If the merchant doesn't respond, a credit is issued from their account.

Access my Account

Secure Log In

Looking for Answers?

Looking for Answers?

View our Disputing a Charge FAQ's

Need Help Now?

Need Help Now?

Email us securely or call

Report Suspicious Emails

Please forward any messages that concern you to

Footer Region