See Terms and Conditions below for full details, including eligibility requirements.
Refer a Friend Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions are effective as of April 2020.
These Terms and Conditions give you detailed information about the Refer a Friend program (“Program”). “Referrer” refers to the person making the referral. “Friend” refers to the person being referred. “We”, “us” and “our” refers to Discover Bank.
How it works
To invite a Friend to apply for a Discover student loan, the Referrer must send the personal link to their Friend, and the Friend must submit their application online for one of our student loans via the personal link within 180 days of clicking on the Referrer’s personal link. In addition, to be eligible for a Refer a Friend award, the Referrer and Friend must meet the Eligibility requirements set forth below. If eligible, Referrer and Friend will each receive a check for $100. This check will be sent to the parties’ preferred mailing address 120 days after the first loan disbursement on the Friend’s loan, provided the loan is not cancelled, refunded, or withdrawn during that timeframe.
It is the Referrer and Friend’s responsibility to ensure that their mailing address is up-to-date. Log in to DiscoverStudentLoans.com or call 1-800-STUDENT to update your mailing address.
The Referrer will be eligible to receive a $100 cash reward if the Referrer:
- Is an existing Discover Student Loans borrower with an account balance;
- Is current on all student loans with us. Referrer is not eligible for the Refer a Friend Program if any of their loans with us are in any one of the following statuses: charged-off, written-off, settled, settlement pending, confirmed bankruptcy or confirmed deceased statuses; and
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Note: If Discover Student Loans does not have the Referrer’s citizenship status on file, the Referrer will be considered ineligible. The Referrer must log into their online account on DiscoverStudentLoans.com to update their citizenship information before they can proceed with the Refer a Friend program.
The Friend will be eligible to receive a $100 cash reward if the Friend:
- Does not have any prior or existing loans with Discover Student Loans;
- Is applying for an undergraduate, graduate, health, law, MBA, bar, residency or private consolidation loan;
- Meets the following minimum loan amounts requirements:
- $3,500 for undergraduate, graduate, health, law, MBA, bar, and residency
- $5,000 for private consolidation loan; and
- Is a US citizen or permanent resident.
Cosigners are not eligible to participate in the Program. Current employees of Discover and their parents, children, siblings, spouses or domestic partners are also not eligible for the Program.
- A check for $100 will be sent to the Referrer and Friend 120 days after the first loan disbursement on the Friend’s loan, provided the loan is not cancelled, refunded or withdrawn during that timeframe.
- A maximum of $400 in Refer a Friend cash rewards may be earned by any Referrer during one calendar year.
- A maximum of $100 may be earned by the Friend, and it is only available on their first loan with Discover Student Loans, regardless of loan type.
- It is your responsibility to notify us if you do not receive an expected reward.
- A reward is considered taxable income and may be reported on IRS Form 1099-MISC. We recommend you consult a tax professional for advice.
By referring friends to Discover Student Loans as described in these Terms and Conditions, the Referrer agrees to the following terms:
- Referrers must refrain from sending chain emails, mass emailing or mass solicitation. Bulk email distribution and any use of automated devices or third party servicers or promoters is prohibited.
- Referrers agree not to compensate or accept any compensation from Friends whom they referred.
- Lending decisions will not be impacted in any way by participation in the Refer a Friend program.
- Referrer activities should be limited to referring potential customers, so they may independently decide whether to apply.
- Referrer must be truthful, accurate, and reflect their honest beliefs and opinions about student loans offered by Discover when sending a referral message.
- Referrers may not collect information from Friends under this program, assist with filling out an application, or discuss specific product terms with Friends.
- If Friend is on our opt-out list or the national email opt-out list, or used another Referrer’s link, they may not receive the email.
- If Referrer provides an incorrect or an invalid email address for the Friend, the Friend will not receive the email.
- Referrers must comply with all applicable SPAM laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- Referrers agree not to solicit applications for loans and will restrict their activities to informing their personal contacts about Discover Student Loans.
We cannot disclose any information about qualifying accounts opened by the Friend. Participation serves as a one-time waiver of privacy rights by both parties, whereby each may become aware of the presence of the other’s account relationship with Discover.
Changes to These Terms and Conditions
The Refer a Friend program may end at any time. These Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time without notice. Changes may include, but are not limited to, changing the redemption methods or imposing additional conditions.