It's a real credit card, not a prepaid or debit card
You can build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus. Generally, prepaid and debit cards can't do that.
Get started with a refundable security deposit
Your secured credit card requires a refundable tooltip. Opens a modal dialog. security deposit. You choose the deposit amount up to the credit line approved.
Free Social Security number alerts
We'll monitor and alert you if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of risky websites‐when you activate.5
Earn cash back on every purchase
2% cash back at restaurants or gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus 1% cash back on all other credit card purchases.
You earn, we match
We automatically match all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year.6
24.24% standard variable purchase APR*
FICO® Credit Score for free
Frequently asked questions
This card is for people new to credit as well as people looking to rebuild their credit. To determine if you qualify for an account, we review the information that you provide on the application, information in your credit report, as well as other information we may have about your creditworthiness. If you are not approved, we will provide you with the score we obtained, which credit reporting agency it was obtained from, and the reasons we could not approve your application.
You will need to be at least 18 years of age, have a Social security number, U.S. address and U.S. bank account, and provide all the required information in the online application. Be sure to have your bank routing number and account number handy when you apply. Applications are taken 24X7 on Discover.com. Apply now
A secured credit card is designed for people who are looking to build or rebuild their credit. It looks and acts like a traditional credit card except that you provide a security deposit as collateral for your credit card account. Your credit line will equal the amount of this security deposit. And like a traditional credit card, as you use your credit card, you will need to make payments each month and your credit card account use is reported to the three major credit bureaus. So your on-time payments and responsible use can help build your credit. Starting eight months after you've been a secured credit card member, we'll review your account monthly to see if we can return your security deposit while you continue to enjoy your card benefits. These reviews will look for your responsible credit use across all your cards and loans, not just with Discover.
1. If you pay your balance in full and close your credit card account, we'll refund your security deposit, which can take up to two billing cycles plus ten days.
2. We'll also automatically review your credit card account monthly, starting at eight months, to see if we can return your security deposit while you continue to enjoy your card benefits. These reviews are based on responsible credit management across all of your credit cards and loans, including Discover and others.
Check out our video to learn more.
Here's how it works
Apply & provide a deposit
If approved, secure your line with an equal security deposit. That means a $200 deposit for a $200 credit line. Or a $500 deposit for a $500 credit line.3
Use your card responsibly
Be sure to pay your bill on time. To avoid interest charges, pay your balance in full each month.
Build your credit history
Using credit responsibly across all of your credit cards and loans,including Discover and others, may qualify you to get your security deposit back.4
Compare Secured Credit Cards
|Discover it Secured Credit Card||Discover it® Secured Credit Card||Capital One® Secured MasterCard||Bank Americard® Secured Credit Card||Wells Fargo Secured Card||Citi® Secured MasterCard|
|No Annual Fee|
|Refundable security deposit11|
|Automatic periodic reviews to see if we can transition you to an account with no security deposit.11|
|Reports to all three major credit bureaus|
|Paying late won't raise your APR|
|No late fee on your first late payment|
††Cash back rewards ‐ Discover: 2% at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter.Comparison conducted by an independent research firm and based on competitor info compiled in December 2017.
Compared card issuers may provide a FICO ® Credit Score or other credit score and other credit information. †Compared card issuers may have other new account alerts.
*According to the Feb 2017 Nilson Report.
- 24.24% Standard Variable Purchase APR* applies.
Discover it® Secured Credit Card Footnotes
* Annual Fee: None. 24.24% standard variable purchase APR. Intro Balance Transfer APR is 10.99% for 6 months from date of first transfer, for transfers under this offer that post to your account by May 10, 2018; then the standard purchase APR applies. Cash APR: 26.24% variable.Variable APRs will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. Minimum interest charge: If you are charged interest, the charge will be no less than $.50. Cash advance fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater. Balance transfer fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer . Rates as of January 31, 2018. We will apply payments at our discretion, including in a manner most favorable or convenient for us. Each billing period, we will generally apply amounts you pay that exceed the Minimum Payment Due to balances with higher APRs before balances with lower APRs as of the date we credit your payment.
††You earn a full 2% Cashback Bonus on your first $1000 in combined gas and restaurant purchases each calendar quarter. Calendar quarters are defined as the three-month periods beginning January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. Gas and restaurant category purchases over the quarterly cap, and all other purchases, earn 1% cash back. Gas and restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as gas stations and full service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast-food locations. Purchases coded in categories other than these, including purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores, will not qualify. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets, or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further detail.
- Back to footnote review. Reviews: Discover it card's average "Overall Rating" based on reviews by cardmembers as seen at https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/it-card/reviews/
- Back to footnote rebuild. Builds credit with responsible use: Discover reports your credit history to the three major credit bureaus so it can help build your credit if used responsibly. Late payments, delinquencies or other derogatory activity with your other credit card accounts and loans may impact your ability to build credit.
- Back to footnote deposit. Minimum Security Deposit: A minimum security deposit of $200 is required to open this account and your security deposit must equal your credit limit. Your maximum credit limit (up to $2500) will be determined by your income and ability to pay.
- Back to footnote transition. Transition to a Discover account without a security deposit: We'll automatically review your credit card account monthly, starting at eight months, to see if we can return your security deposit while you continue to enjoy your card benefits. These reviews are based on responsible credit management across all of your credit cards and loans, including Discover and others.
- Back to footnote flash. Discover® Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security number is found on such a website. This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts. Identity alert services are based on Experian information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. Monitoring your credit report does not impact your credit score. This benefit may change or end in the future. Discover Bank is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. To see a list of Frequently Asked Questions, visit discover.com/freealerts.
- Back to footnote match. Cashback MatchTM: Only from Discover, as of December 2017. After the first 12 consecutive billing periods that your new account is open, we will match all of the cash back rewards you've earned and apply them to your account in the following one or two billing periods. If your account is closed or no longer in the cash back reward program at the time we calculate your potential award, your cash back will not be matched. You've earned cash back rewards when they have posted to your account by the end of the 12th consecutive billing period. This promotional offer may not be offered in the future. This exclusive offer is available only to new cardmembers.
- Back to footnote fico. FICO® Credit Score Terms: Discover cardmembers receive a FICO® Credit Score for free online and on monthly statements. The FICO® Credit Score and key factors are based on data from TransUnion and may be different from other credit scores. This information is intended for and only provided to Primary cardmembers who have an available score. See Discover.com/FICO about the availability of your score. Your score and key factors are available on Discover.com and your score is provided on statements. You will see up to a year of recent scores online starting when you become a cardmember. Discover and other lenders may use different inputs, such as a FICO® Credit Score, other credit scores and more information in credit decisions. This benefit may change or end in the future. FICO is a registered trademark of the Fair Isaac Corporation in the United States and other countries.
- Back to footnote freeze it. Freeze it: When you freeze your account, Discover will not authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers. However, some activity will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits, dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and certain other exempted transactions.
- Back to footnote free overnight card replacement. Free Overnight Card Replacement: Overnight shipping is not available to P.O boxes or addresses outside the U.S Carrier overnight shipping limitations apply that may impact the exact delivery date.
- Back to footnote deposit. Accepted nationwide by at least 97% of the merchants that take credit cards : According to the Feb 2017 issue of the Nilson Report.
- Back to footnote refunds. Discover refunds deposits two ways: 1) automatic monthly reviews starting at eight months to see if your account qualifies to "graduate" after showing responsible use of all your credit over time, or 2) when you close your account and pay in full we will return the security deposit to you, which can take up to two billing cycles plus ten days. See other issuers' terms for their details.
- Back to footnote redeem any amount any time. Redeem Any Amount Any Time: We will credit your account with your cash back bonus balance if your account is closed or has not been used in 18 months. See rewards terms and conditions.
- Back to footnote use rewards at amazon.com. Use Rewards at Amazon.com: Amazon, Amazon.com, the Amazon.com logo and the smile logo are registered trademarks of the Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. For complete details on how to Pay with Cashback Bonus at Amazon.com see Amazon.com/Cashback Bonus.