- Benefits and Tools
- Customer Service
- Discover Products
- Balance Transfers and Cash
Manage My Account
- Online Account Management
- Enhanced Account Security
- Add Person to Account
- Card Design and Replacement
- Change Rewards Program
- Change Username & Password
- Closing a Discover Card Account
- Downloads and Copies
- New Card Activation
- Chip Card
- Report a Lost or Stolen Card
- Online Statements and Transactions
- Paperless Disclosures
- Update My Information
- Website Technical Support
- Financial Hardship
- Mobile Wallets
Not a Cardmember?Apply Now
Using Discover Gift Cards
How to use a Discover Gift Card.
- What is a Discover Gift Card?
- Can I still purchase a Discover Gift Card?
- How do I activate my Discover Gift Card?
- Who should I contact if I am having issues with the website?
- Can I use a Discover Gift Card if my purchase is more than the amount on the card?
- What is the difference between the valid thru date and the expiration date?
- How do I use my card to make a purchase?
- Where can I use my Discover Gift Card?
- Can I use my gift card online?
- How do I use my gift card at restaurants, gas stations, hotels or for travel?
- Can I get cash from my gift card?
- How can I check the balance on my Discover Gift Card?
- Can I add funds to my Discover Gift Card?
- Can Discover Gift Card balances be given to another individual or can the balance be consolidated?
- What do I do if the gift card was lost or stolen?
- Are merchant returns credited to the gift card?
What is a Discover Gift Card?
A Discover Gift Card is a prepaid stored-value card that may be used for purchases at millions of locations in the U.S. where Discover Cards are accepted--including online and in stores.
Can I still purchase a Discover Gift Card?
Sales of Discover Gift Card have ended as of April 30th 2015. All Discover Gift Cards issued prior to April 30th, 2015 can continue to be used for purchases anywhere Discover is accepted per the gift card's terms and conditions.
How do I activate my Discover Gift Card?
Click the link to Activate your Discover Gift Card or call us toll free at 1-866-522-7026. Make sure to sign the back of the Gift Card before making your first purchase. Once you activate your Gift Card you can begin using it right away.
Who should I contact if I am having issues with the website?
If you are having trouble with the Discover Gift Card site, contact Customer Service.
Can I use a Discover Gift Card if my purchase is more than the amount on the card?
If a purchase is more than the amount on the gift card, tell the cashier the amount on the card, swipe it and press "credit." It is important to know the balance on your Card for this reason. Then use an alternative form of payment, like cash, to complete the purchase. (This is known as "split tender.")
What is the difference between the valid thru date and the expiration date?
Your gift card does not expire nor do the funds. The "valid thru" date shown on the front of your gift card allows your card to be used for Internet or mail/telephone order merchants. If you want to use your card online after the "valid thru" date, call Customer Service at 1-866-522-7026 for a replacement card free of charge.
How do I use my card to make a purchase?
Discover Gift Cards work similar to a prepaid credit card so when you or the cashier swipes the card, press "credit" to continue with your purchase. If you are making a purchase over the amount on the gift card, inform the cashier the exact balance left on your card. You will have to use an alternative form of payment to complete the transaction.
Where can I use my Discover Gift Card?
You can use Discover Gift Cards at most U.S.-based merchants who accept Discover Cards. You cannot use Discover Gift Cards at ATMs, check-cashing agencies and certain locations where an authorization may be attempted for an amount that exceeds the value of the card (e.g., pay-at-the-pump gas stations).
Can I use my gift card online?
Yes, you can use your Gift Card online with some exceptions. If your Gift Card was not initially sent to your mailing address, some online merchants may decline the transactions based on their address verification process. If you would like to update the address associated with the gift card, contact Customer Service or call toll-free 1-866-522-7026.
How do I use my gift card at restaurants, gas stations, hotels or for travel?
• For pay-at-the-pump gas stations, payment must be made inside.
• Many restaurants preauthorize an amount up to 25% more than the meal to cover tips. A Gift Card might be declined if its value is less than the cost of the meal + 25%
• Not all car rental agencies and hotels accept gift cards; contact the merchant directly before using your gift card there.
How can I check the balance on my Discover Gift Card?
You can check your balance on the Discover Gift Cards page or by calling Customer Service toll free at 1-866-522-7026.
Can I add funds to my Discover Gift Card?
Discover Gift Cards are not reloadable and funds cannot be transferred from one card to another.
Can Discover Gift Card balances be given to another individual or can the balance be consolidated?
Balances from several Gift Cards cannot be consolidated onto one card. Balances also cannot be transferred from one gift card to another.
What do I do if the gift card was lost or stolen?
Treat the card like cash – we cannot prevent the unauthorized use of the Gift Card by others. If you notify us immediately at 1-866-522-7026 to report the gift card has been lost, damaged or stolen and you are able to provide us with the Card number, we may be able to send a replacement Card for the remaining funds on the Card.
Are merchant returns credited to the gift card?
Merchants may credit your returns back to the Gift Card used to make the purchase so keep your Card until you are sure that you won’t need a merchant refund to your Card.
Didn't find an answer to your question? Send us a Secure E-mail
Not a Cardmember? Apply Now