Discover Card Help Center
Change My User ID or Password
- I can't remember my password, what should I do?
- I can't remember my user ID, what should I do?
- What is the difference between my personal identification number (PIN) and my Account Center password?
- What is a passphrase and why should I use one?
- Will my password ever expire?
- What are the password guidelines?
I can't remember my password, what should I do?
If you forget your password, you should click the "Forgot User ID/Password" link on the main login page. You will then need to choose "Forgot Password" under the Credit Cards option. At this point, you will be prompted to add your personal and card information.
If you do not have your card information, you can reset your password by calling Customer Service at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683). You will then receive an email with a temporary password. The temporary password is only good for 72 hours, so please make sure you create a new password as soon as you log in by selecting "Account Profile" at the top of your screen and clicking the "Edit" button under "Account Information" on the Account Profile page.
In the future, consider using a longer, multi-word passphrase, which may be easier to remember and provides an added layer of security to your account.
I can't remember my user ID, what should I do?
If you forgot your user ID, click the "Forgot User ID/Password" link on the main login page. You will then need to choose "Forgot User ID" under the Credit Cards option. At this point, you can log in with your 16-digit account number as your user ID.
Once you are logged in to your account, select "Account Profile" from the top of your screen. In your Account Profile, you can either view your current user ID or select a new one under the "Account Information" section, which is the first section on the Account Profile page.
If you need further assistance, please contact web support at 1-877-742-7822.
What is the difference between my personal identification number (PIN) and my Account Center password?
Your PIN is a four-digit number you use with your Discover Card at an ATM or financial institution to get a cash advance or to withdraw cash from your Discover Money Market account. Your Account Center password is 8-32 digits, used to access online Account Center services.
What is a passphrase and why should I use one?Passphrases are essentially longer, multi-word passwords. They may be easier to remember and provide an added layer of security to your account. Try to use a group of words or a sentence that will be readily familiar to you—the lengthier the passphrase, the better. For example, "Orang3 is my favorit3 color!"
Remember, your passphrase is case-sensitive, needs to be between 8-32 characters and should have at least one number. To make your passphrase even stronger, include spaces and special characters.
Will my password ever expire?Your account password does not expire.
What are the password guidelines?
Your user ID should be something that others can't guess but is easy for you to remember without writing it down. It's a good idea to use something personal that only you would know.
You should also consider:
- Your user ID must be 6-16 characters, is not case-sensitive, and can contain any character found on your computer's keyboard except spaces, apostrophes, quotations marks, and back slash
- As an added security measure, your user ID and password cannot be the same
- Your user ID should use a combination of letters and numbers (e.g., jim14my or my2dog5is), but avoid having numbers at the beginning or the end
- Avoid dictionary words, family or pet names, your birthday, your anniversary or your social security number
- Closing a Discover Card Account
- Closing a Deceased Cardmember's Account
- Add Another User to Account
- Card Design and Replacement