Military Service Benefits (SCRA)
How do I request SCRA benefits?
Call us at 1-844-DFS-4MIL anytime 24/7. If you're calling from outside the US, please call +1-801-902-2985.
You can also provide us with a copy of your military orders or other supporting documentation. This is the list of approved documents:
- Military Enlistment/Reenlistment Contract
- Leave and Earning Statement (LES)
- Letter from your commanding officer
- Deployment or active duty orders
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) documentation
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series)
- Any other documentation on military letterhead confirming your active military duty status
Who is eligible for SCRA benefits?
Discover provides protection to servicemembers and their spouses/domestic partners. For most student loans, the loan must have been originated prior to the servicemember's active duty start date. For private consolidation loans, Discover's SCRA benefits are available regardless of servicemember's active duty start date. The servicemember must have been on or currently be on active duty in one of the below military services:
- Marine Corps
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
- Reservists and members of the National Guard on active duty
- Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
When do SCRA benefits apply?
SCRA benefits apply to eligible accounts for you, and your spouse or domestic partner, from the active duty start date through the duration of the active duty period. You may submit a request for SCRA benefits at any point up until 180 days after the date of the servicemember's termination or release from military service.
Discover also offers you the option to request a student loan deferment, allowing you to postpone making payments during your time of active duty for up to a maximum of 36 months.