Discover Card Help Center


Learn how, where, and when to dispute a transaction.
Report a Dispute
You are here:

How does the dispute process work?

Discover makes the process easier for you by contacting the merchant and reviewing the information provided by you and the merchant. We will communicate with you about the latest status during our investigation.

During the investigation, you won't need to pay for your disputed transaction and you can use your card as normal for everyday purchases.

Will I get a confirmation or status updates during the dispute process?

We'll send you a confirmation letter or email after you’ve initiated a dispute. Once the process is finished, we’ll notify you of the outcome. You can always find the latest status of your dispute on the Disputes page on your account.

How long will the entire dispute process take?

Depending on the nature of your dispute, the process usually takes between 30-60 days. However, more complex disputes may take more time to resolve.

Do I have to pay my disputed transaction?

You won't have to pay for your disputed transaction during the investigation.

How can I help resolve my dispute as quickly as possible?

You may reach a quicker resolution by working directly with the merchant since they have direct access to your purchase information and can service you directly. Providing us with any relevant documentation as soon as possible could also help make the process faster and easier.

Can I dispute an inconvenience I had with a merchant?

The transaction can't be disputed with us if you received the goods or services you purchased. Please contact the merchant directly if they didn't meet your expectations.

What if I have questions about Billing Errors on my statement?

Read FAQs for more information.

I want to contact the merchant, but can't find their phone number. Do you have any suggestions?

The merchant’s phone number is usually next to their name on your statement. You also can search for their phone number online.

How long should I wait for a merchant to credit my account before I initiate a dispute?

You should wait up to 15 days for the merchant to credit your account.

I don't recognize a transaction. What are the first steps I should take?

If there’s a joint cardmember or authorized user on your account, be sure to check if they made the transaction. You can also try contacting the merchant. If you still don’t recognize the transaction, you can initiate a dispute.

Please note: If you think fraud has occurred on your account, please call us immediately at 1-800-347-4996. You're never responsible for unauthorized transactions on your Discover Card account.

How do I dispute a transaction?

You can initiate a dispute online through the additional transaction details on the Activity and Statement page. To get more details, select the transaction. To dispute the transaction, select the "Dispute Charge" link. You can also dispute a charge by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) or by sending a letter to P.O. Box 30945, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0945.

I have some documentation about my dispute case? How can I send that to you?

You can easily upload documentation online through the Disputes page by expanding the "Upload Documents" section or send it by mail to P.O. Box 30945, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0945. You can also fax the documentation to 1-224-813-5109. If you’re sending a fax, please include your first and last name, dispute case number and last four digits of your account number.

What are some examples of documentation that might be helpful to my case?

Transaction details, along with any other communication between you and the merchant, might be helpful. If you returned the items, you can provide the delivery confirmation, including the full address of where the items were returned. If you canceled a recurring billing, you can provide the cancellation confirmation number or email. If you were supposed to receive credit, you can provide a copy of the credit slip. If you’re disputing quality of goods or services, you can provide a copy of the relevant communication from the merchant. Photos of merchandise cannot be accepted as valid documentation.

Will I be charged fees and interest charges on the disputed transaction?

You won't have to pay for your disputed transaction during the investigation. This includes any fees or interest charges related to the disputed transaction.

Will this affect my account?

The investigation of the transaction will not affect the status of your account. You can use your card as normal for everyday purchases.

How will Discover Card investigate my dispute?

We'll contact the merchant about your dispute. After giving them an opportunity to respond, we'll evaluate the information provided by you and the merchant. The resolution is based on that information.

Once the process is started, can I cancel my dispute?

Contact Customer Service at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) if you need to cancel a dispute. Please be sure that the situation is fully resolved with the merchant; otherwise, your options may be limited if the dispute needs to be reopened.

If the case is resolved in the merchant's favor, do I have any recourse?

To understand why a case was resolved in the merchant's favor, please review all of the documentation sent to you by Discover, including all relevant merchant documentation considered during the investigation.

If you have any new documentation that hasn't been considered yet, please upload it on the Disputes page or send it to us by mail or fax. One of our representatives will review your documentation and determine if the case can be reopened. We’ll notify you with the outcome.

Where can I find documentation provided by the merchant for my dispute?

If there is merchant documentation attached to your case, you will receive a copy of it via mail or email. You may also find it online on the Disputes page.Expand the "Show Uploaded Documents" section to find the relevant document.

Why has my temporary credit been reversed?

If a temporary credit was applied to your account, it will be reversed once a decision has been made. If a dispute was found in your favor, a credit in the amount of the dispute has been applied instead. A letter with more information regarding this has been or will be sent to you.

Security & Fraud

Need further assistance?

Go to Help Center home

Get away faster when we match all the Miles you earn your first year.* footnote

*See Terms. Only for new cardmembers

Back to Top